StructGuard TS is the structural gypsum sheathing that also simplifies application, maximizes moisture, mold and fire resistance and provides exceptional cost efficiency and stability. All in addition to delivering code-recognized wall bracing strength.
- Mold- and water-resistant core and facers
- Provides code-required structural bracing support (see IRC code reference)
- Low material and application cost
- May be installed over wood or metal framing
- Fire resistance classified by Underwriters Laboratories according to ASTM E1191
- Available with a minimum of 93% certified recycled gypsum and paper content on a dry-weight basis in accordance with ISO 14021 standards
| ||Federal Specification|
|Product Standard |
|1/2" (12.7 mm) StructGuard TS
||Type II & Grade W||C1396
||ASTM C1280, GA253|
|5/8" (15.9) Fire-Resistant StructGuard TS
||Type II & Grade W, X||C1396
||ASTM C1280, GA253, GA254|
||1/2" (12.7 mm) Regular
||5/8" (15.9 mm) Regular|
|*5/8" complies with all UL designs and requirements as currently exist in Type X products.
1R is resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating value.
2Per ASTM E84
3Per ASTM E136
||48" (1219 mm)
||48" (1219 mm)
Special Order Information:
Other widths, edges and lengths may be available on special order with established minimums and lead time. Some products may not be available in all markets. Please check with your local Temple-Inland sales representative.
- Should not be used as a nailing base
- Application to framing by adhesive only is not recommended
- Not recommended for ceiling or floor structural applications
- Not intended for long-term exposure to weather, 30-day maximum
- Should not be applied below grade
- Should not be adhered to masonry surfaces
- Should be stored, handled and installed to comply with industry standards GA 253 and ASTM C1280 for gypsum sheathing or GA254 for fire-resistant sheathing
Mold and Moisture Resistance:
StructGuard TS has the TemShield Mold Protection system, which provides a significant degree of mold resistance compared to untreated panels as per ASTM D3273, the standard test of mold resistance, and scored a 10 out of a possible 10 in laboratory evaluations.
Fire Resistance of 5/8" Type X Panels:
This material has been fire tested in accordance with the requirements of ASTM E119 and therefore may provide a fire rating of one or more hours, depending on the system in which it is applied. Because ASTM procedures require that fire tests be conducted on complete building assemblies/systems and not just on the board itself, the ability of any particular 5/8" Type X gypsum board to pass a specific ASTM fire test may well depend on factors other than the fire resistance of the gypsum board being tested.
Gypsum board should be carried, never dragged, to prevent damaging the finished edges. When storing gypsum boards, store them indoors and protect them from weather and direct sunlight. Boards should be stored lying flat and neatly stacked. Care should be taken to prevent sagging or damage to edges, ends and surfaces. Placing boards against framing is not recommended.